One of our aims is to encourage families, especially children, to embrace a regular oral hygiene routine to ensure they maintain optimal dental health throughout their life. We encourage families to attend for their check ups together and welcome children of all ages; as a rule of thumb aim to register your baby soon after birth or by the time they are 6 months old.
Introducing your child to our practice from and early age will help build a trusting relationship with your dentist, these regular visits will help your child feel more comfortable when attending. Preventive dentistry can create the foundation for a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums. With a reasonable level of care, children today should expect to keep their natural teeth for life and avoid complex and costly procedures in future.
Childsmile is a national program designed to improve the oral health of children in Scotland. High Street Dental is a Childsmile practice and we are committed to promoting good oral health and forming good habits in children from a young age.
As part of the Childsmile program we will:
- Give information on the growth and development of your child’s teeth
- Carry out regular dental checks
- Demonstrate and explain correct toothbrushing technique and advise on the correct toothpaste to use
- Provide advice on weaning and healthy snacks
- Provide resources such as free flow cups, toothpaste, toothbrushes and tooth brushing charts.
- From the age of 2 we can apply Fluoride varnish to your child’s teeth twice yearly. Research shows Fluoride varnish provides extra protection against tooth decay when used in addition to brushing.
Fissure sealants are preventive treatments often applied to the biting surface of back teeth, where decay is most common. A tooth coloured resin is applied to the biting surface to fill any deep grooves in the teeth making them easier to clean.
Early detection of tooth or jaw alignment problems can mean more orthodontic treatment options are available and may be completed in a shorter time frame.